Ingredients for Borlotti Bean Soup:
- 1 lb (450 g) Borlotti beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
Method for Borlotti Bean Soup:
- Soak the beans overnight. Drain. Put into a large saucepan with 4 pints (2.3 litres) of water, cover and cook until soft.
- Peel and slice the onion, peel and finely dice the potato, crush the garlic and saute all together gently in the olive oil.
- When the beans are cooked, put about half of them along with half of the water they were boiled in thorough a blender or push through a sieve to make a purée.
- Add the rest of the beans and the purée to the onion and potato and bring to the boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a good pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with plenty of chopped parsley.
Makes enough Borlotti bean soup for 8 people. This soup freezes well so you can make it up and then split into portions. As there are just two of us, one to eat now and three to freeze for later.
If you have a pressure cooker, it will save a lot of time and energy when cooking the beans. Generally a one hour boil can be reduced to just 15 minutes @ 15lb/sq in in a pressure cooker