A great way to use cucumbers and peppers saving the taste of summer through the winter months.
Ingredients for Cucumber and Pepper Relish:
- 1 lb 8 oz (750 g) cucumber
- 2 large red or yellow peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 fl oz (175 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Method for Cucumber and Pepper Relish:
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthways and remove the seeds. Chop coarsely into a colander or sieve, sprinkle with the salt and leave for at least an hour.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Core, de-seed and thinly slice the peppers, put into a bowl with the lime juice and mix well.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil and add the cucumber, peppers, lime juice and mustard seeds.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Makes about 1lb 12 oz (750 g) of relish.
More on Making Relish Preserves
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...
This is great. It uses up loads of cucumbers. You can use coriander seeds instead of mustard.
How long will this keep?