Recipe for Spicy Potato Stuffed Peppers submitted by New Shoot.
This is a really tasty recipe given to me by a friend. Serve hot or room temperature and it goes well with some yoghurt with chopped mint stirred through it, or a spicy tomato sauce would be good as well.
It is very filling, so depending on the size of the peppers, 1 per person may be enough.
Ingredients for Spicy Potato Stuffed Peppers:
- 4-5 bell peppers with seeds removed – I used double this amount of small pointed peppers from the greenhouse
- 5-6 medium sized potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 3 chopped cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp tumeric powder
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp amchoor (powdered sour green mango) or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 bunch chopped green coriander
- 3 tbsp oil – a lot of this stays in the pan, so you don’t eat it all
Method for Spicy Potato Stuffed Peppers:
- Mash the potatoes with a fork – you want texture to make the filling interesting, so don’t mash really smoothly
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté the cumin seeds over low heat until fragrant
- Add the onion and sauté until soft
- Add the garlic and chilli and stir for a minute
- Add the mashed potatoes and turn them over in the oil and spices until all is incorporated
- Add the garam masala, amchoor or lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix, then turn off the heat and allow to cool
- When cool enough to handle, fill the peppers and smooth the top of the filling
- Heat 2 tbsp oil over low heat and sauté the peppers for 20-25 minutes. Once the surfaces are browned, cover with a lid so the peppers steam and fry at the same time
The cooking heat is very gentle throughout with this recipe. Nothing should fast fry, so the end results are soft, well flavoured peppers with tasty filling.
Made this last night and it was a great success. I used lemon juice and baked it in the oven, covered with foil, and it worked well and was very tasty! Thank you!