Ingredients for Runner Bean Casserole:
- 500 g (1 lb) runner beans
- 125 g (4 oz) button mushrooms
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 150 ml (5 fl. oz) soured cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 50 g (2 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
Method for Runner Bean Casserole:
- Prepare the beans and slice into 25 mm (1″) pieces. Cook in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, drain thoroughly in a colander.
- Whilst the beans are cooking, prepare the mushrooms. Clean and slice thickly then fry for a couple of minutes in butter.
- Mix the beans and mushrooms in a bowl .
- Season the soured cream and fold in the chopped parsley then spoon this mixture over the mixed runner beans and mushrooms then mix thoroughly.
- Next pour the mixture into a buttered oven dish, fry the breadcrumbs in butter until they have absorbed the butter and spread over the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at gas mark 4 or 180C
This recipe provides a light vegetarian meal on its own or can be served with sausages, bacon etc.
This is such a wonderful recipe and has had the whole family sorry that the runner bean crop has come to and end
Can the bean and mushroom mixture be frozen for future casseroles?