Ingredients for Tomato and Olive Rice:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 or 3 cloves or garlic, crushed
- 10 oz (275 g) long-grain rice
- 10 or 12 tomatoes, depending on size, skinned and quartered
- 1 pint (570 ml) vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 or 5 large fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 4 oz (112 g) stuffed olives, sliced
- Lemon slices to garnish
Method for Tomato and Olive Rice :
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the rice and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper to taste, lemon rind and basil.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is cooked and the liquid absorbed.
- Stir in the olives, adjust the seasoning to taste if necessary, and garnish with lemon slices.
This Tomato & Olive Rice Recipe makes 4 good helpings. A filling substantial meal in itself or use to accompany some meat in a meal. Suitable for vegetarians (without the meat, of course!)
The lemon really makes a difference to the recipe, brightening it. Not got a lemon? Keep a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge and use a tablespoon of lemon juice. Not quite as good, but nearly so,