Ingredients for Asparagus Flan:
- 6 oz (175) shortcrust pastry, preferably wholemeal
- 8 large or 12 small asparagus spears
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¼ pint (150 ml) single cream or full-fat milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Method for Asparagus Flan :
- Roll out the pastry and line an 8″ (20 cm) flan ring or dish with it. Prick the bottom of the case with a fork. Cover the base with a circle of greased paper and put bread crusts or hard beans on the paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for about 20 minutes. Discard the paper and beans 5 minutes before the flan case has finished cooking.
- Reduce the oven temperature to Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C).
- Cook the asparagus until just tender – preferably steaming. Drain.
- Arrange the asparagus in the pastry case with the spears radiating out from the centre. Trim the stalks if necessary and put aside.
- Beat 2 eggs, ¼ pint (150 ml) single cream or milk together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If there are any stalks left over, finely chop and add to the mixture.
- Pour over the asparagus and then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until set.
This Asparagus Flan Recipe serves 4. Garnish the centre with a slice of tomato or a couple of twisted slices of lemon. Goes well with a crisp, green salad.
Pastry Making Help & Information
Pastry Making - Basic Guide & Tips to How to Make Pastry
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
How to Make Cheese Pastry
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...
Leave a Comment Here on Asparagus Flan Recipe