When making this thyme vinegar or any other herb vinegar, remember the volatile flavour oils will be strongest in the morning.
Ingredients for Thyme Vinegar:
- Thyme leaves, washed, drained and roughly chopped (about 3 good handfuls)
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar or distilled white malt vinegar
Method for Thyme Vinegar:
- Put the thyme into a wide-mouthed sterilized jar and pour over the cold vinegar.
- Cover tightly and leave to stand in a sunny place for 3 to 4 weeks, shaking occasionally.
- Strain through muslin, pour into a sterilized bottle, adding a fresh spray of thyme to the bottle, and seal.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Thyme Vinegar.
Adds interest to salad dressings and can be used in stews, soups, sauces etc.
Herb Vinegars make a lovely gift if put into a nice bottle.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars