An easy and tasty recipe for spiced beetroot, ideal for with salads and cheese. Also a delicious accompaniment to roasts or barbecues.
Using the hot spiced vinegar helps to make the storage life longer and retains the colour.
Ingredients for Spiced Beetroot Recipe:
- 1 ½ kg young beetroot
- 500 ml/2 cups water and juice – kept over from the boiling pot
- 500 ml/2 cups vinegar
- 400 g/2 cups sugar
- 2 ml salt
- 2 ml ground cloves
- 2 ml cinnamon
- 2 ml ground ginger
- 1 ml black pepper
Method for Spiced Beetroot Recipe:
- Boil beetroot till tender. Remove skin, cut into small squares or slices. Keep 2 cups water and juices to add to the vinegar.
- Put all the remaining ingredients into an enamel pot with the 2 cups of beetroot water/juices and bring to the boil.
- Add beetroot and simmer/boil slowly for 20 minutes.
- Bottle into hot sterilized jars (add extra vinegar if required to top up jars) and seal.
- Refrigerate once opened.