Authentic Italian Lemoncello Recipe submitted by Christine
This recipe is not my own but comes handed down from my mother-in-law’s village in the Frozenone area of southern Italy, where the women folk pride themselves on offering the best lemoncello to their guests.
Makes around 2.5 litres of lemoncello in 8 days. Lemoncello stores well for years if kept in the dark however mine never lasts long!!
Ingredients for Lemoncello:
- 12 unwaxed lemons (preferably organic)
- 1 litre of purest alcohol (40% vodka will do)
- 1.5 litres of water
- 1 kg sugar.
Method for Lemoncello:
- Finely peel the lemons, taking care not to include any pith, (this will make it sour). Then soak the lemon peel in the alcohol for 8 days.
- Take the water and sugar and heat in a pan till the sugar dissolves, let it cool.It is important to let it cool or the alcohol will evaporate when mixed with hot liquid.
- Then pass the alcohol/ lemon mixture through a fine sieve and mix with the sugary water, bottle and then enjoy!!
Makes about 2.5 litres.
I tend to bottle into small wine bottles as my friends always ask me for some to take home. This recipe is best stored in a dark place to ensure the colour of the liquid remains true.