Freezes beautifully and is a great side dish to complement a simple grilled or roast meat as it is quite rich.
Beetroot Gratin Goes particularly well with roast beef and smoked fish. A nice touch when serving with beef is to add a teaspoon of grated or creamed horseradish with the cream.
Ingredients for Beetroot Gratin:
For 4 50 g (1lb) beetroot
- 100ml double cream
- 100g gruyere cheese grated (or any hard strong cheese)
All amounts can be changed to suit tastes.
Method for Beetroot Gratin:
- Cook beetroot whole in a pan of boiling water, simmer till tender when tested with a knife, about 35-40 mins.
- Leave to cool and then peel.
- Preheat oven to 200c, gas 6.
- Cut into slices and layer beetroot in a baking dish
- Pour over cream, sprinkle on cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until top is crisp and golden (about 15-20 mins)
Freezes beautifully and is a great side dish to simple grilled or roast meat as it is quite rich.