Ingredients for Pear & Walnut Chutney:
- 2 ½ lb (1.2 kg) pears
- 2 medium cooking apples
- 8 oz (225g) onions
- 8 oz (225 g) sultanas
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 lb (450 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 ½ pint (855 ml) cider vinegar
- 4 oz (112 g) walnuts
Method for Pear & Walnut Chutney:
- Peel, core and chop the pears and apples. Peel and chop the onions.
- Put into a large pan with the vinegar and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and continue simmering for around 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whilst the fruit/onion is simmering, put the sultanas into a small bowl and pour over the orange juice and leave to soak.
- Add the sugar, sultanas and orange rind and juice to the pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and then simmer for a further 30 to 40 minutes until the chutney is thick and there is no excess liquid.
- Chop the walnuts roughly and toast in a non-stick pan for about 5 minutes on a low heat, stirring until lightly coloured.
- Stir the walnuts and ground cinnamon into the chutney.
- Ladle into hot, clean, sterilized jars, cover and seal.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes about 4 lb (1.8 kg) of Pear & Walnut Chutney. Leave for at least a month to allow to mature.
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information