Ingredients for Apple Flapjack:
- 2 lb cooking apples (peeled, de-cored and sliced)
- 8 oz butter
- 2 oz ground almonds
- 3 oz self-raising flour
- 6 oz porridge oats
- Some mixed spice (if liked)
- 6 oz brown sugar
Method for Apple Flapjack:
- Simmer cooking apples until soft.
- In a separate bowl rub in the butter, ground almonds and flour.
- Add the porridge oats, some mixed spice if you like it, and the brown sugar.
- Spread approx ½ of the mixture on a flat “swiss roll tin”
- Spoon the apple mixture over and then cover the apple with the rest of the “Flap jack mix”.
- Bake at 180/190c for approx 25/30 minutes ( untill golden).
Eat hot with ice cream or cold, in slices, in kids lunch box etc.
Delicious. However, I found it easier to melt the margarine and then add to the dry ingredients.
Thank you, my husband loved these flapjacks. I melted the margarine too. Also I added some sugar to the apples and the rest to the flapjack mix. I seemed to have a lot of apple so I made another half batch of the flapjack mix to cover it sufficiently.
Made this for my boys, the apple flapjack didn’t get much chance to cool before they were getting stuck in. Big Un said ” it tasted even better than my apple crumble and you know how much I love apple crumble mmmmmm!!!!”
I think I must have used too many apples as I found it impossible to spread the oat mix on top. Nonetheless, it tasted great, especially when it had cooled completely.
I too melted the butter, otherwise I would of found it difficult to mix properly. I had too much apple left over so froze some. Like Emma I found it hard to spread so it looked more like a crumble topping, saying that it was really tasty.
Gorgeous but definitely melt the butter and add the dry ingredients – I got into a right mess trying to rub it together!!
Also, to take it that step from apple crumble with layers to flapjack add some golden syrup to the oat mixture 🙂