A good use for crab apples or windfalls. This spiced apple butter is a family favourite.
Ingredients for Spiced Apple Butter:
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) crab apples (or windfalls)
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) water
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) dry cider
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Rind of ½ lemon, grated finely
Method for Spiced Apple Butter:
- Wash the apples, remove any bruised bits and cut into pieces.
- Place in a stainless steel or enameled pan with the water and cider.
- Bring to the boil then simmer until the apples are very soft.
- Push the fruit and cooking liquid through a fine sieve and weigh the pulp.
- Allow ¾ lb (340 g)of sugar to each l lb (450 g) of pulp.
- Return the pulp to the pan and simmer until it has reduced by about one-third or until thick.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon rind.
- Boil, stirring frequently, until no liquid remains.
- Spoon into clean, dry, warm, sterilized jars.
- Cover and seal with an airtight lid.
- Label with date and contents when fully cooled.
Makes a great filling for sponge cakes and tarts as well as being used as a spread like jam.
Makes about 6 lb (2.8 kg) of Apple Butter.
Has a fairly short storage life, months rather than years. Once opened, should be eaten within a week or two. Best kept in the fridge.
General Information on Making Fruit Butters & Cheese