A good use for crab apples or windfalls. This spiced apple butter is a family favourite.
Ingredients for Spiced Apple Butter:
- 6 lb (2.8 kg) crab apples (or windfalls)
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) water
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) dry cider
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Rind of ½ lemon, grated finely
Method for Spiced Apple Butter:
- Wash the apples, remove any bruised bits and cut into pieces.
- Place in a stainless steel or enameled pan with the water and cider.
- Bring to the boil then simmer until the apples are very soft.
- Push the fruit and cooking liquid through a fine sieve and weigh the pulp.
- Allow ¾ lb (340 g)of sugar to each l lb (450 g) of pulp.
- Return the pulp to the pan and simmer until it has reduced by about one-third or until thick.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and lemon rind.
- Boil, stirring frequently, until no liquid remains.
- Spoon into clean, dry, warm, sterilized jars.
- Cover and seal with an airtight lid.
- Label with date and contents when fully cooled.
Makes a great filling for sponge cakes and tarts as well as being used as a spread like jam.
Makes about 6 lb (2.8 kg) of Apple Butter.
Has a fairly short storage life, months rather than years. Once opened, should be eaten within a week or two. Best kept in the fridge.
General Information on Making Fruit Butters & Cheese
Fruit Butters & Cheeses
Fruit butters and fruit cheese are old-fashioned names for preserves made with fruit puree and sugar. Generally the fruits used for jellies are also the best ones for butter and cheeses and they can even be made from the pulp left in the jelly bag after...
Hi just been give a load of apples can you use sweet cider, or even pear cider with this recipe as have those in the house thank you x
Excellent recipe! Makes a great preserve.
I add a spoonful to all kinds of sauces; it’s great in a cheese sauce for pasta.
Amazing recipe! Made some this week it is lovely, will make great presents for Christmas along with the apple and pear chutney I have made and the plum jam. I have weighed the apples I have left and can make another couple of batches too so very pleased! Thanks so much for the recipe x
Have made this this year and have another load of apples to make another go. It seems to be disappearing very quickly, but how long will it keep??