Ingredients for All Vegetable Spicy Stir Fry :
- 3 cloves Garlic- finely chopped
- 1 fresh chilli- finely chopped (depending upon the heat of the chilli – don’t use whole scotch bonnet!!)
- 1 inch of ginger- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce or 1 table spoon soy sauce
- 1 heaped teaspoon veg stock – or 1 cube
- 1 onion- sliced- fairly chunky
- 2 carrots-finely sliced
- 6-8 mushrooms
- 1 leek
- 1 pepper- I prefer red or yellow as sweeter!
- 4 stems asparagus- in 2 inch long pieces
- Green veg – Pak choy, swiss chard, spinach, broccoli- big handful of each (or the ones you have)
- Any other vegetable that wanders past!
Method for All Vegetable Spicy Stir Fry:
- Rip the leaves into big chunks, leave the pak choy leaves whole if small and slice if big, try to get slices the same size for even cooking!
- Works best in a wok, or the biggest frying pan you have (I sometimes use my paella dish!)
- Ensure all vegetables are ready chopped before you start cooking as will only take 5-10 mins to cook!
- Start the garlic, chilli, ginger off in ½ pint water on a medium heat, once they are bubbling add the stock, carrots and onions.
- Cook until the carrots are starting to soften a little, then add leeks, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, peppers and any other ‘semi hard’ vegetables – eg courgettes.
- Once back up to heat add all the soft greens, and the oyster/soy sauce and turn up the heat and stir like mad! You may need to add a bit more water to help the greens to start wilting. I aim to steam most of the vegetables and avoid using oil unless it is a ‘sticky pan’.
- It’s ready when the greens are wilting, but the firm vegetables still have a little crunch left!
Use whatever vegetables you have that will hold its shape – have found butternut squash really doesn’t work!
I try to get a mixture of veg that look good together – and that the colours balance nicely! If you want more ‘bulk’ you can add noodles or rice but I don’t normally.
If you are not keen on spicy food just leave out the chilli and ginger, tastes just as good.
And the really good news is, if you are following a diet (eg slimming world) the only items that are restricted are the oyster sauce and the stock- so is virtually a free meal!