Ingredients for Chestnut Casserole :
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 8 pickling size onions
- 3 medium carrots in chunks
- 1 stick celery in 1″ pieces
- 8 button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tbs broad beans
- 2 or 3 broccoli florets
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 12 tinned chestnuts (or dried chestnuts cooked in water until tender)
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- 2 tsp cornflour
Ingredients for Cheese dumplings:
- 2oz bread crumbs
- 2oz veggie cheddar
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- pinch cayenne
- 1 egg
Method for Chestnut Casserole :
- Stir fry vegetables in oil for a couple of minutes and stir in mustard powder.
- Add soy sauce and enough water to come up half way up the vegetables. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix all ingredients for dumplings and divide mixture into 10 small balls.
- Add chestnuts and stir, then balance the dumplings on top of veg and put lid on pan, simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Lift vegetables and dumplings onto a serving dish and thicken sauce with cornflour and pour over vegetables.
This recipe for Chestnut Casserole with Cheese Dumplings makes a warm and filling vegetarian meal ideal for autumn nights that start to chill