Ingredients for Cheese and Potato Pie:
- 12oz shortcrust pastry
- 1 1/2 lb waxy potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- knob of butter
- 6oz mature cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives or parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Optional few bacon rashers, chopped
Method for Cheese and Potato Pie:
- Line a 9in pie tin with the pastry and bake blind for 5 mins (stops pie having a soggy bottom).
- Part cook potatoes for approx. 10mins, drain and set aside.
- Roughly chop onions and gently fry in the butter, add bacon if using. Season to taste.
- Slice cooled potatoes into thick slices and mix with onions, herbs and half the cheese.
- Put into pastry case and top with rest of cheese. Roll out lid and cover, brush with milk or egg to glaze.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until nicely browned 190 deg C gas 5.
Serves 4 -6 depends how hungry you are.
Nice hot or cold with a salad (my son insists it’s best with chips though!) You could try this with a cheese shortcrust pastry instead of the standard.
Pastry Making Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...