Ingredients for Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce:
- 2 ounces fresh red chillies, roughly chopped (remove seeds if less heat is desired)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 4 ounces sultanas, chopped (white raisins)
- 1-2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- ½-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Method for Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce:
- Place chillies in a food processor with half the vinegar and process until the chillies are finely chopped.
- Do not be concerned if the chilli seeds remain whole.
- Combine the chilli and vinegar mixture with the remaining vinegar, and all other ingredients, in a small stainless steel saucepan (take care adding the salt- you can always add more later if you wish).
- Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil briefly, then reduce temperature to allow the mixture to simmer gently until the chillies and sultanas are soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When cool, purée until almost smooth.
- Pour into a suitably sized sterilised bottle and seal.
This recipe was originally put onto the Cooking, Storing and Preserving forum by our friend Biscombe in Spain, who has kindly given me permission to reproduce it here for anyone who wants to try it. It is delicious!!!!!