Ingredients for Pickled Cucumber:
- Spiced Vinegar
Method for Pickled Cucumber:
- Wash the cucumbers and wipe clean. Do not peel unless they are bitter or a variety with a spiky skin.
- Cut into slices or dice into cubes.
- Layer with salt in a basin, finishing with a layer of salt.
- Leave for 24 hours, which will extract lot of the moisture from the cucumber .
- Rinse thoroughly in cold water and drain well.
- Pack into clean, sterilized jars and cover with spiced vinegar (can be either hot or cold).
- Cover and label with contents and date.
Note: Best if left for 4 weeks before using. Goes well with a traditional cold meats mixed salad.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for 6 months in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.