- 3 lb (1.4 kg) pears
- 2 cooking apples
- 1 lb (450 g) onions
- 1 lb (450 g) seedless raisins
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 lb (450 g) soft brown sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) white distilled vinegar
- Peel, core and chop the pears and apples. Peel and chop the onions. Crush the garlic.
- Put all of the ingredients into a large pan with the vinegar and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and continue simmering for around 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until it is thick.
- Ladle into hot, clean, sterilized jars, cover and seal.
- Label when fully cool.
Makes about 4 lb (1.8 kg) of Pear Chutney.