Blackcurrant jam is really easy to make and get to set as blackcurrants are full of pectin and have enough acid. Be careful to not cook the fruit too quickly or the skins will toughen.
Ingredients for Blackcurrant Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) blackcurrants
- 2 pints (1.15 litres) water
- 6 lbs (2.7 kg) sugar
Method for Blackcurrant Jam:
- Remove the stalks and wash the fruit.
- Put into a pan with the water, bring to the boil and simmer gently until the fruit is soft.
- Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 5 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal at once.
Makes about 8 lbs (3.6 kgs) of blackcurrant jam.
General Information on Jam Making