Apricots are generally OK on pectin but usually need a boost in acid to get a good set. Hence the inclusion of lemon juice.
Ingredients for Apricot Jam:
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) sugar
- ¼ pint (145 ml) water
- 4 lbs (1.8 kg) fresh apricots (weight after stones have been removed)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Method for Apricot Jam:
- Wash and drain the apricots. Cut in halves and remove the stones.
- Crack a few of the stones and tie the kernels in a piece of muslin.
- Put the apricots, kernels and water in a preserving pan.
- Stew the fruit until it is tender.
- Take out the kernels and Test for pectin.
- Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes until the jam sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal at once.
Makes about 6 lbs (2.7 kg) of apricot jam.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...