Cranberry Chutney Recipe submitted by Beetroot queen
All Chutneys make fantastic presents because they really improve with age and go brilliantly with Christmas cheeses and cold meats.
This one, as you would expect, is also a lovely, bright, Christmassy colour.
Ingredients for Cranberry Chutney:
- 1oz butter
- 12oz onions chopped
- 1lb cooking apples
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 12oz cranberries
- 1lb soft brown sugar
- 15 fl oz white malt vinegar
Method for Cranberry Chutney:
- Melt butter, add onion, apple and spice cook for 20 mins
- Add cranberries and sugar along with vinegar, stir till sugar has gone.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Keep boiling away it does look really runny but once cooled it thickens up nicely.
- Mature for at least 4 weeks and then eat.
WARNING watch your eyes the cranberries are like little bombs, I kept a lid handy and a tea towel and a medical kit ( I got one right in the eye ) and it hurts!
Like most chutneys, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars this will keep for at least a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information