A guide to keeping domestic breeds of geese and ornamental geese on a small or commercial scale. Housing, pasture and water access, feeding, care and management, breeding, selling and showing. All the domestic breeds and a selection of ornamentals shown in full colour.
One of the best books available for keeping geese, and ideal for those who are thinking about keeping their own flock whether that be for the table or as pets.
This reference work is by Katie Thear who was a well known author and poultry keeper. She also advised on waterfowl standards for RSPCA Freedom Foods as well as for the Poultry Organic Standards.
Read an excerpt on our site: Rearing Geese for the Table
Available both new and second hand from Amazon.
Amazon Reviews of Starting with Geese:
” I chose this book as I wanted to learn more about keeping geese. It is a lovely book which looks at the history of the goose, as well as practical goose keeping. My favourite bit is where the author looks at the personalities of geese. I could really relate this to my own geese. It is a lovely book which I would recommend to anyone thinking about keeping geese, just starting to keep them, or simply wanting to learn about them.”
Further Books in this Section
- Chicken Breeds and Care – Mini Encyclopedia by Frances Bassom
- Chickens: The Essential Guide by Suzie Baldwin
- Cluck: A Book of Happiness for Chicken Lovers
- Starting with Chickens by Katie Thear
- Starting with Geese by Katie Thear
- Starting with Turkeys by Katie Thear
- Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread