Having decided what we’re potatoes and beans we’re growing, all that remains is to fit the rest of the crop families into the available space.
What to Grow?
The onion family are the easiest to sort now. It’s logical that they should go onto the half of Bed 1, Plot 29 that is next to the autumn planted onions and garlic.
This year I intend to try some Red Barron from seed started in modules as well as planting some sets in the spring.
My root crops suffered from the sheer weight of the soil – heavy clay does not encourage them. This year I shall use Bed 1 & 2 on Plot5. The soil has been well dug over and has a lot of leafmould as well as some of the turkey litter waiting to be rotavated in.
Hopefully this will ‘lighten’ the soil for a more successful crop.
I also want to grow a little perpetual spinach which can go on the same patch.
Rather than long rows, I may try sowing in patches. One bit of good news is that the site does not seem to suffer from carrot root fly.
Sweetcorn and Squash
I doubt I will need the whole of the combined Beds 1 & 2 so the sweetcorn and squashes can go on the rest.
Bed 3 on Plot 29 is assigned to brassicas but they tend to take a little more space than I have there so the extra will move on to Plot 5 .
This leaves the plans looking like this
Plot 29 Final Plan
Plot 5 Final Plan
This appears to leave me with a spare bed on plot 5 but I’m sure there will be overspill from somewhere to use it up.
The deep beds will be used as below:
|Bed 1||Nursery Bed followed by salad crops|
|Bed 2||Nursery Bed followed by possibly some carrots|
|Bed 4||Salad Crops|
|Bed 5||Japanese special crops (Daikon, Blue Shiso)|
Well that’s the theory of what’s going where.. I doubt the plan will survive the season.. there’s always change.
Practical Example Crop Rotation
Planning the Allotment Plot Crop Rotation Plan - New Plot
Planning the Allotment Plot Crop Rotation Plan - Previous Year
Planning the Allotment Crop Rotation Plan - What Potatoes to Grow
Planning the Allotment Plot Crop Rotation Plan - Interim Legumes
Planning the Allotment Crop Rotation Plan - Finished!
Articles & Information on Crop Rotation
- Crop Rotation – History & Principles of Crop Rotation
- Crop Rotation – Plant Families or Groups for Crop Rotation
- Crop Rotation – The Three Year Crop Rotation Plan
- Crop Rotation – The Four Year Crop Rotation Plan
- Crop Rotation – The Five Year Crop Rotation Plan
- Practical Example Crop Rotation
- Planning the Allotment Plot Crop Rotation Plan – New Plot
- Planning the Allotment Plot Crop Rotation Plan – Previous Year
- Planning the Allotment Crop Rotation Plan – What Potatoes to Grow
- Planning the Allotment Plot Crop Rotation Plan – Interim Legumes
- Planning the Allotment Crop Rotation Plan – Finished!