We picked up this recipe from a chap who ran beach tavern in Fourka, Greece
Ingredients for Courgette Pie:
- 1 kilo of courgettes
- 500 grams of puff pastry
- 5 medium sized onions
- Half a cup of butter
- Cup of olive oil
- 2 and half cups of cheddar cheese
- 4 beaten eggs
- Salt and pepper
Method for Courgette Pie:
- Clean the courgettes and cut them into small pieces. Boil them in salted water strain well afterwards.
- Grate the onions and add to the courgette. Put all this into a frying pan and cook until the water from the courgettes has been absorbed.
- Add the butter and allow to fry for a while.
- Next add the parsley, salt, pepper, cheese and beaten eggs. Mix.
- Use the oil to coat the baking tin, add the pastry leaving enough to put a lid onto the pie.
- Oil the pastry before adding the mixture.
- Pop the lid on and trim. Cook in a medium oven until the pastry is golden (about 45 minute)
Based on a Greek recipe this makes a delicious pie that can be eaten hot or cold. We found it made 3 pies and froze two of them. Better fresh than frozen but still very nice, just the same.