Ingredients for Green Beans in Oil:
- 1 kilo of green beans (French or runner)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes, skinned and crushed
- 1 cup of oil (good quality extra virgin olive oil is best)
- Salt and pepper
Method for Green Beans in Oil:
- Prepare the beans and put into a saucepan with the onion and about half a cup of water.
- Cook to soften the onion and beans then add the oil, tomatoes, seasoning and another 2 cups of water.
- Boil until well cooked.
This is a Greek dish that turns beans into a really tasty dish on their own.
You can also add diced potatoes but they need par-boiling first.
A good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil really makes a difference to this dish.