Ingredients for Salmon on a bed of Beans:
- 4 salmon fillets or 4 salmon steaks (about 8oz or 225 grms each)
- 2 medium onions (thinly sliced) red are nice for the colour, but any will do
- 8 streaky rashers of bacon (or slice up back bacon)
- A big handful of pine nuts (I love them so use a big handful)
- 1 or 2 lemons quartered
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 big handfuls of sliced runner beans (about 1 ½ lbs or 700 grms)
- Vegetable or Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper – just lightly, don’t overdo it – I don’t add salt to anything it is more healthy but you can add a sprinkling once it is cooked if you feel you need it. But try it first.
Method for Salmon on a bed of Beans:
You need a suitable roasting tin that will take all the ingredients comfortably.
- Warm up the oven on a high setting first. Gas 7, Fan 200c, 425f or 220c
- Start by spreading the runner beans and onions on the bottom and then sprinkle the garlic and pepper on top, coat the beans lightly with oil and toss those all together with your hands.
- Snuggle the fish pieces into the runner beans, then sprinkle on the pine nuts, tuck the lemon pieces prettily around, and finish off by drizzling a little more oil over the top.
- Protect the fish pieces with a bit of kitchen foil for the first five minutes then remove it.
- Check after a total of 15 minutes cooking to see if its all cooked. (Don’t over cook the fish).
Serve on warm plates.
That’s it, you don’t need anything else.
Variations on the theme: Add fresh tomatoes and omit the lemon. Add thinly sliced peppers. Just experiment. I do. It also works with frozen runner beans, and cod. Oily fish I found were too strong so don’t try it with those.
I just throw it all in the tin measuring by the handful, you don’t have to be strict with the weights. My recipes are based on what I have to hand so you can be quite versatile and substitute similar things to experiment but they have to cook in 15 to 20 minutes
Good morning from the Channel Islands! What do you do with the bacon? The recipe sounds delicious but do you wrap the bacon round the fish or chop it and scatter it over the top? Thanx
I chopped it up and parboiled the beans first and it worked well.