Ingredients for Broccoli or Cauliflower and Stilton Soup:
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb broccoli or cauliflower
- 1 medium courgette (optional)
- 1 large or couple of smaller carrots (optional)
- 1 medium potato
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable Oil
- 3 pints of water or stock (vegetable)
- 3oz Stilton Cheese (or more to taste, I like loads)
Method for Broccoli or Cauliflower and Stilton Soup:
- Dice vegetables and add to pot with the butter and oil and a small amount (about 3 or 4 tbsp) of water.
- Heat whilst stirring to avoid burning then put the lid onto the pot and cook gently for around 15 minutes to soften the vegetables, stirring occasionally and replacing the lid or shaking the pan to avoid sticking.
- Next add the water or stock, bring to the boil and then simmer gently for around 25 – 30 minutes, then reserve the liquid and blitz the veggies in a food processor or put through a Mouli.
- Return to the liquid and crumble the Stilton cheese in and season to taste.
I’ve made variations on this for years and this is the original recipe.
I like loads more Stilton in it than the recipe calls for – up to 12 oz. But I love Stilton. I’ve also made it by adding the Stilton to the processor along with the rind and it has been fine. Extra cheese does make it a very hearty soup.
You can make it using half the water and freeze the ‘concentrated soup’ adding water or milk to bulk it back before serving. It will work with a weak chicken stock as well, but this gives us a meal that is vegetarian friendly if we have veggie visitors.
If you have discoloured cauliflower it is a good way to use it up as well. You can also use broccoli stems that maybe you would not eat.
For the frugal amongst us (me!) freeze your discoloured cauliflower then visit a supermarket a bit after Christmas. You can pick up crazy bargains on Stilton cheese. This can also be frozen and used for the soup when the vegetables are available.