This Jerusalem Artichoke Soup was given to me by: Wali Hawes
Ingredients for Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
- 2lbs Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 oz butter
- 1/2 pint milk
- 3 pints stock
- 1and a half oz cornflour
- Seasonings a few celery seeds
Method to make Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
- Wash and peel the artichokes and drop them at once into cold water to which a little lemon juice has been added.
- Bring the stock to boiling point, add the artichokes, the celery seeds (tied in a muslin bag) and the seasonings, boil gently till artichokes are tender. Remove celery seeds then blend the soup.
- Return to heat then add the butter and milk.
- Mix cornflour to a smooth paste with cold water then add to the soup stirring all the time. Once soup has thickened serve hot.
When I lived in Nantwich I was surprised to discover this delightful vegetable. Tasty and nourishing. Can’t be beaten. It was great for this soup.
I have never been able to understand why this vegetable has been so totally ignored.
Wali’s site can be seen here: Wali Hawes Wali was a good friend of ours who sadly passed away in 2014. With the chap who sends in recipes as ‘Grannie Dumplin’ he handled the catering for our wedding party. The party actually continued after we left for our honeymoon and was still going on our return!
Wali was multi-talented; he was a linguist, cook and incredibly talented potter. Above all, a wonderful human being who put his art and humanity ahead of himself.