Ingredients for Rugbymads Tomato Soup:
- 1 ½ lbs tomatoes
- 1 small white onion (tennis ball size)
- 1 small potato (ditto above)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ pint vegetable stock
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Sprigs of fresh Basil (optional)
- Whipping cream (optional)
Method for Rugbymads Tomato Soup:
- Finely chop the onion, peel the potato and dice and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan lightly fry the onion in the oil until translucent not browned. Add the tomatoes and place a lid on the pan and gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the diced potato and stock and simmer with a lid off for further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender – taking care not to scald yourself.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve and discard the waste.
- Replace the pan on the heat and add the Ketchup and tomato purée. Heat for 2 minutes but do not allow to boil – stirring constantly.
Serve with a swirl of cream and basil sprig.
This soup is great for freezing or will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. I put it in a flask, with a good pinch of cayenne pepper and take it to the allotment on cold days in the winter.