Recipe for Swede baked with Cheshire Cheese sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Swede baked with Cheshire Cheese:
- 2 tbsp sifted plain flour
- 1 tsp each of Salt, ground white pepper & ground coriander seeds
- 16 oz Swede, peeled quartered and thinly sliced
- ½ oz butter or margarine
- 1 large juicy clove of garlic, crushed
- 3 oz Cheshire cheese finely crumbled
- 1 pt single cream
Method for Swede baked with Cheshire Cheese:
- Preheat the oven to medium
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and coriander seed in a plastic carrier bag.
- Add the Swede slices and shake well to coat the slices in flour.
- Grease an ovenproof dish with butter or margarine and rub the crushed garlic over the inside of the dish.
- Layer the flour coated Swede slices in the dish with the crumbled cheese, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Dot the butter over the surface of the Swede and pour over the cream.
- Bake in the oven for about one and a half hours until golden brown and the Swede is tender. Cover with foil during cooking if it’s over-browning.
- Serve straight to table.
You can substitute your favourite crumbly English cheese instead of Cheshire, if you wish