Ingredients for Dinner Bread Rolls:
- 12 oz (340 g) strong white or wholemeal flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 oz (28 g) butter or margarine
- 1 oz (28 g) fresh yeast or ½ oz (14 g) dried
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- ¾ pint (400 ml) milk
Method for Dinner Bread Rolls:
- Sieve the flour into a warm bowl, add the salt and mix well. Rub in the fat and leave in a warm place.
- Cream the yeast with the caster sugar and add ¼ pint (145 ml) warm milk. Leave until frothy.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, add the yeast mixture and enough extra warmed milk to make an elastic dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes to mix well.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough on to a floured board and knead well for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 18, knead each piece again and form into rolls or other shapes.
- Put onto a warmed, greased and lightly floured baking tray. Cover with a clean cloth and leave to prove for about 20 minutes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven set at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for about 10 – 15minutes.
- Brush with melted butter as soon as removed from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
This Dinner Bread Rolls Recipe makes 18 rolls.