Ingredients for Pitta Bread:
- 1 lb (450 g) flour – your choice of which kind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ oz (14 g) fresh yeast or ¼ (7 g) dried yeast
- ½ pint (300 ml) water
Method for Pitta Bread:
- Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cream the yeast with a little of the water and leave until frothy.
- Make a well into the flour, add the yeast and mix to a dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knock back with your hand or fist to remove any air pockets and knead again for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces, dust each piece with flour and roll out to form ovals approximately 8″ by 5″ and ¼” thick.
- Put onto a large floured board and dust again
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave the dough to rise again in a warm place for 25 to 30 minutes until almost doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 8 (450°F/230°C).
- Lightly grease two baking sheets and put into the oven until they are really hot.
- Remove trays from oven and quickly put the pittas on them.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the pittas are just beginning to turn brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Note: If the oven and baking sheets are not extremely hot, the pittas won’t puff up as they should. This Pitta Bread Recipe makes 6 pittas.