Ingredients for Courgette Soufflé:
- 1 lb (450 g) courgettes
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ pint full or semi-skimmed milk
- 1 oz grated cheese (preferably parmesan)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 extra whites of egg
- Salt and pepper
Method for Courgette Soufflé:
- Cut the courgettes into ½ inch slices and cook them gently in a little water until they are tender. Strain off the liquid thoroughly and put the courgettes through a blender.
- Make a sauce with the butter, flour and milk and, when it is smooth, add the courgette purée.
- Cook for another minute or two and then add the cheese, well-beaten egg yolks and seasoning.
- Allow the mixture to cool and then fold in well-beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a greased 2 pint (1.1 litre) soufflé dish, stand in a baking tin containing a little water and cook in the middle of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°C/180°F) for about 40 minutes until the soufflé has set.
An impressive luncheon or light dinner recipe that serves 4. Goes well with a salad or green beans.