When making this marjoram vinegar or any other herb vinegar, remember the volatile flavour oils will be strongest in the morning.
Avoid picking leaves whilst the plant is in flower.
Ingredients for Marjoram Vinegar:
- Marjoram leaves, washed, drained and roughly chopped (about 3 good handfuls)
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar or distilled white malt vinegar
Method for Marjoram Vinegar:
- Put the marjoram into a wide-mouthed sterilized jar and pour over the cold vinegar.
- Cover tightly and leave to stand in a sunny place for 3 to 4 weeks, shaking occasionally.
- Strain through muslin, pour into a sterilized bottle, adding a fresh spray of marjoram to the bottle, and seal.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Marjoram Vinegar.
Adds interest to salad dressings and can be used in stews, soups, sauces etc.
Herb Vinegars make a lovely gift if put into a nice bottle.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars
How to Make Flavoured Oils & Vinegars
Home made flavoured oils and vinegars are very easy to make and are, generally, flavoured with herbs but stronger flavoured ingredients such as chillies and garlic can also be used. In the case of vinegars, fruit is also often used. Garlic flavoured oil...
Make Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars, Pickling Vinegars
Spiced Vinegar A lot of pickles and relishes are preserved in spiced vinegars. The spices used vary enormously according to the recipe and to individual taste. We've listed below examples of the most common combinations. You can buy ready spiced or...
Oils & Vinegar
Articles, information and tips on using oils and vinegars. People have used oils and vinegars for flavouring and storing foods for thousands of years. You have to wonder who first had the idea of using spoilt wine as a condiment or putting those...
Leave a Comment Here on Marjoram Vinegar Recipe