When making this marjoram vinegar or any other herb vinegar, remember the volatile flavour oils will be strongest in the morning.
Avoid picking leaves whilst the plant is in flower.
Ingredients for Marjoram Vinegar:
- Marjoram leaves, washed, drained and roughly chopped (about 3 good handfuls)
- 1 pint (570 ml) white wine vinegar or distilled white malt vinegar
Method for Marjoram Vinegar:
- Put the marjoram into a wide-mouthed sterilized jar and pour over the cold vinegar.
- Cover tightly and leave to stand in a sunny place for 3 to 4 weeks, shaking occasionally.
- Strain through muslin, pour into a sterilized bottle, adding a fresh spray of marjoram to the bottle, and seal.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Marjoram Vinegar.
Adds interest to salad dressings and can be used in stews, soups, sauces etc.
Herb Vinegars make a lovely gift if put into a nice bottle.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars