Ingredients for Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 lb (450 g) cranberries
- ¼ pint (145 ml) white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lb (450 g) demerara sugar
Method for Cranberry Sauce:
- Wash the cranberries and put in a pan with the vinegar and spices.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently until the fruit is soft and mushy,
- Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved. Bring back to the boil and boil hard for 5 minutes.
- Sieve and put into a clean pan.
- Return to the boil and boil for around 60 seconds and then pour into hot, sterilized jars or bottles and seal.
- Label when cool.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Cranberry Sauce.
What could be better as a Christmas Gift? It works well with duck, goose or chicken as well as turkey though.
General Information on Making Sauces and Ketchups
Sauces and ketchups (catsup) are very similar although, generally, ketchups have a slightly thinner consistency than sauces. Sauces are rubbed through a sieve to give a smooth mixture and then cooked again until they are thick enough not to separate...