Ingredients for Broccoli Grill:
- 1½ lbs (675 g) broccoli
- 3 oz (85 g) butter
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ozs (56 g) plain flour
- 1 pint (570 ml) semi-skimmed or whole milk
- 6 ozs (170 g) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon of made-up dry mustard
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 oz (56 g) breadcrumbs
Method for Broccoli Grill:
- Grease a shallow oven-proof dish with some of the butter.
- Break the broccoli into florets and cook in boiling salted, water for 5 – 8 minutes until just tender. Drain and arrange in the greased oven-proof dish.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually blend in the milk. Return to the heat and cook the sauce, stirring, until it thickens. Stir in the grated cheese, mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli, arrange the tomatoes around the edge and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Cook under a moderate pre-heated grill for 10 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
Serve immediately with crusty, wholemeal bread. Enough for 4 to 6 people as a tasty side dish.