Ingredients & Method for making Elderflower Cordial:
- Gather elderflower heads on a dry day!!
- Never wash them (I put them in my white ” butler ” sink and shake most of the grubs out).
- Cut out a lot of the green stems.
- Use approx 20 to 25 heads (NB do not pick them near the road with ” fumes” etc on).
- Place in a clean bucket with 4 lbs of sugar, 2 lemons sliced (Organic is best for this).
- Pour over 4 pts hot water and stir well.
- Add either 75 grams citric acid OR 2 tbls white wine vinegar (I prefer the citric acid the cordial seems to keep better).
- NOW cover well with a big cloth and leave approx 3 days BUT stir each day) (the smell gets better).
- Taste and, if sweet enough, strain through some muslin into a jug and then funnel into clean bottles.
- Do not leave it in a warm place (as a friend did and bottles exploded).
- Do not screw tops on TOO tight (I have learned!!).
Beautiful and refreshing either with iced water & extra lemon slices or (I was told) tonic water.
Also poured over ice cream or even a spoon or 2 in an apple cake!!
Use some of your home grown fruit to make your own supply of fruit drinks, both soft and alcoholic. What are Fruit Syrups & Squashes? Syrups are strained fruit juices, sweetened with sugar, whilst squashes have part of the fruit tissue included. ...