This goes well with naan, some pickles and a yoghurt dish … or sliced tomatoes with it are good too.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Delhi Curry :
- 2 tbs ghee or sunflower oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp kalonji (nigella seeds)
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds (I sometimes put in a whole tsp as we like it like that!)
- Large pinch of fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 2 dried red chillies (cayenne type) — you can use fresh, it just makes it slightly different
- 900g pumpkin flesh cut into 3cm cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbs light soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp amchoor (dried green mango powder) OR 2 tsp lemon juice
Method for Pumpkin Delhi Curry:
- Put the oil or ghee in a non stick wok or something similar that has a lid.
- When hot, put in all the whole seeds and the dried or fresh whole chillies Stir once or twice ubtil the seeds start to pop & splutter.
- Put in the pumpkin, stir for about one minute and then cover, turn heat to low and cook for 45 mins until flesh is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Take off the lid, add salt, sugar and amchoor (or lemon juice). Stir gently, and mash lightly so that it still has some texture.
CARE — don’t eat the peppercorns or whole chillies.