Yummy if you’re addicted to onions like me!
Ingredients for Stuffed Onion:
- 4 large onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 leaves of sage or ½ teaspoon of dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 sprigs of parsley
- 4 ozs (112g) breadcrumbs
- 4 ozs (112g) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1 oz (25g) butter
Method for Stuffed Onion:
- Peel of the outer leaves of the onions carefully to retain their shape.
- Cut a slice of the top of each and make a few gashes around the onions.
- Pierce each onion through the centre with a large fork.
- Put the onions into a large wide pan of boiling water and cooks until just tender.
- Drain, cool slightly and then carefully push out the centres.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the finely chopped celery, garlic, sage and parsley. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and grated cheese.
- Cook this mixture for 2-3 minutes, mixing well into a paste.
- Stuff the paste into the onions.
- Grease a baking dish with butter and transfer the onions into it. Top each onion with a sliver of butter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for 30-45 minutes.