A quick and easy vegetarian meal on its own or as an accompaniment.
Ingredients for Jerusalem Artichokes Au Gratin:
- 1 ½ lbs Jerusalem Artichokes
- Lemon juice
- Breadcrumbs for the top
- 1/2 oz butter
- 1/2 oz flour
- 1/2 pint of milk
- 4 ozs grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon or English mustard
Method for Jerusalem Artichokes Au Gratin:
- Scrub and peel the artichokes. Drop into a pan of salted water to which has been added a little lemon juice. Boil gently until just tender. Drain well and turn into a oven-proof dish.
- Make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a pan and adding the flour. Blend well and let the roué cook for a minute of two over a low flame. Add the the milk, 3 ozs of the grated cheese and mustard along with salt and pepper and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the artichokes, sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and the other 1 oz of grated cheese and brown under a hot grill or the the top part of an hot oven for about 20 minutes. Serve piping hot.
A quick and easy vegetarian meal on its own or as an accompaniment – especially good with bean burgers.