Ingredients for Cauliflower and Bacon Cheese:
- 1 medium cauliflower – trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 medium sized onion – peeled and chopped
- 6 ozs bacon – rind removed and rashers cut sideways into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- ½ pint milk
- 3 ozs mature cheddar – grated
- Knob of butter
- Cayenne pepper
Method for Cauliflower and Bacon Cheese:
- Cook the cauliflower florets in lightly salted boiling water for about 7 minutes (until they are tender). Drain well through a colander. Place in a coated oven-proof dish.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion and bacon strips for around 6 minutes. Spoon over the cauliflower.
- Make the cheese sauce by combining the cornflour and milk in a mixing jug, stirring until smooth and add salt and pepper to taste. Melt the knob of butter in a saucepan and transfer the contents of the mixing jug into the saucepan and add two-thirds of the cheese. Stir frequently until the cheese has melted and the sauce thickens.
- Combine the cheese sauce with the cauliflower, onion and bacon folded in.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake in the upper part of the oven at 200 degrees (Gas Mark 6) for 25 minutes.
Makes a light meal in its own right for 3 to 4 people depending on their appetite.