Lovely mixed with cream cheese and spread on crackers or used as a glaze for pork and chicken.
Ingredients for Sweet Pepper Relish:
- 2 lbs green or red tomatoes
- 1 ½ lbs cooking apples
- 1 ½ lbs onions
- 1lb sugar
- 6 red peppers and 6 green peppers
- 1 oz salt
- 1tsp allspice
- 1 ½ pints vinegar
- ¼ oz chillies (it’s up to you)
- ¼ oz cloves
- ¼ oz crushed root ginger
- ½ oz mustard seed
- 1oz peppercorns
Method for Sweet Pepper Relish:
- Wipe peppers and discard seeds, wipe toms, peel onions, peel and core apples.
- Chop or mince all vegetables and fruit coarsely and put into pan.
- Put spices into a muslin bag.
- Simmer the mixture in the vinegar for 2-3 hours till it is thick and then remove spices.
- Cool and put into sterilized jars and label.
More on Making Relishes
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Hi could you tell what the shelf life of this relish is and how long does it take to mature thank you as I have grow quite a lot of peppers for the first time .
Annette, Similar to any chutney recipe, ( ie ) Leave it a few weeks to mature & as long as all the important steps were done in making it , it should keep for a long while . BUT once a jar is open , then keep it in the fridge as after air has got to it then it is best to use it up ( but ME similar to VAL have jars of pickles & chutneys in the pantry for ” years!!” & still delicious when opened.
It is all in the making of any jam , pickles & chutney ( & in my case liquers , of which I make many !! )