I’d love to say the greenhouse is 100% finished but there are still a few bits left as you’ll see. I’ve a couple of metal clip things (I’m sure there’s some technical name for them) which I couldn’t figure out where to put. Happily Vitavia emailed me a photo to clarify the instructions so hopefully I can retrofit them on. We’ve also got a handle to go on the door and that will be all the bits used.
I’ve also got some staging to go inside from Vitavia. Very swish, matching green staging to the framework. I brought my folding greenhouse shelf with me when we moved so that will be going up, even if it is plain silver aluminium. Slight problem in that I can’t find my crophead nuts to fix it up with so I ordered a bag from ebay.
Next to go in is my slimline water butt which will give me a store of 100 litres of water at greenhouse air temperature. Water straight from the tap is pretty cold, usually just 5 degrees, and using it on seedlings can really shock them and cool the growing medium. There’s little point in starting seedlings off in a propagator, keeping them at around 18 degrees and giving them a cold shower each day.
Talking of propagators, I need to run an extension cable into the greenhouse for them. If we took the power directly, I’m pretty sure I’d need a qualified electrician and armoured cable and suchlike. However we’ve an outside weatherproof electric socket just a few yards from the greenhouse. If I plug a lead into that, perfectly legal. Since the lead will be there most of the time and in an area that gets walked on, I’ll run it through some water pipe to protect it.
Overall it’s been a much bigger job than I thought, not helped by my having a rotten cold which slows me down. When you look at the sheer number of bits to bolt together, bead to push onto the metal, clips to hold the glass in place – we’ve not done such a bad job.
I’m really looking forward to growing in it now, my first new greenhouse!