Ingredients for Leek Pie:
- 10 oz (280 g) shortcrust pastry
- 1 lb (450 g) leeks
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Salt and pepper
Method for Leek Pie:
- Roll out the short crust pastry and use to line an 8″ (20 cm) flan case, leaving enough for the top. Put into the fridge to chill whilst you’re preparing the filling.
- Top and tail the leeks and then cut from the top end down the middle, splay and wash thoroughly. Cut cross-ways into thin slices.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the leeks, cover and reduce the heat, simmer for about 15 minutes until soft stirring occasionally.
- Beat the egg yolks, add to the leeks and stir in the cream. Season to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the flan case and cover with the rest of the pastry. Flute the edges and seal with water. Brush with a little more egg or milk.
- Put into a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (200°C/400°F) for about 45 minutes until the pastry is done.
- Serve hot.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...