Ingredients for Carrot Jam:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) carrots
- 3 pints (1.7 litres) water
- Brandy (Optional)
- Jam sugar
Method for Carrot Jam:
- Grate the carrots and put them in a saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil and simmer until soft.
- Put through a blender or liquidiser, or press through a sieve.
- Weigh the purée. For each 1lb (450 g) of puree add 1 lb (450 g) sugar and the rind and juice of 2 lemons.
- Return the purée to the pan and heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally as the pulp thickens and setting point is reached.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of brandy for each 1 lb (450 g) of jam.
- Pot into hot sterilized jars immediately and cover.
- Label when cool.
Makes about 3 lbs (1.4 kg) of jam. The brandy is optional but does preserve the jam for longer.
General Information on Jam Making
These articles cover the basic methods and rules for making jams, jellies and marmalades. Once you have mastered these, it is far easier to adapt and alter recipes for your own tastes. The first people to record some of their methods were the Romans...