Ingredients for Vegetable Hotpot with Dumplings:
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz (225 g) carrots
- 1 small cauliflower
- 4 largish tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 4 oz (112 g) peas
- 4 oz (112 g) green beans, French or runner
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pint (285 ml) vegetable stock
- 1½ teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 2 oz (56 g) self-raising flour
- 1 oz (28 g) vegetarian suet
- 3 oz (84 g) grated Cheddar cheese
Method for Vegetable Hotpot with Dumplings:
- Slice the onion, carrots and beans. Break the cauliflower into florets. Skin and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and carrots for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, 1 teaspoon of the herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, beans and peas and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Whilst cooking, make the dumplings. Sift the flour into a bowl, add the suet, ½ a teaspoon of mixed herbs and 1 oz (28 g) of the grated cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 4 tablespoons water and mix to an elastic dough. Turn onto a floured surface and, with floured hands, shape into 8 balls.
- Put the dumplings on top of the vegetables, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This Vegetable Hotpot with Dumplings Recipe Serves 4.
A couple of tablespoons of unsalted peanuts added at the same time as the cauliflower etc. works well.