Another way of using up some of those green tomatoes you are always left with!
Ingredients for Green Tomato Chutney:
- 5 lb (2.25 kg) green tomatoes
- 1 lb (500 g) onions
- 1 oz (25 g) salt
- 8 oz (250 g) seedless raisins
- 8 oz (250 g) sultanas
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 oz (25 g) root ginger
- 12 cloves
- 4 red chillies
- 1 lb (500 g) demerara sugar
- 1 pint (600 ml) malt vinegar
Method for Green Tomato Chutney:
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Place the two together in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave for at least an hour.
- Transfer into a pan with the raisins and sultanas. Bruise the ginger and chillies and put with the other spices into a piece of muslin, tie firmly and add to the pan with the vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and then switch down to a simmer, add the sugar stirring frequently until dissolved.
- Continue stirring occasionally and press onto the muslin bag until thickened.
- Remove the muslin bag.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Makes about 6 lb (3 kg) of chutney.
This chutney, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
General Chutney Making Information