A great way to use cucumbers and peppers saving the taste of summer through the winter months.
Ingredients for Cucumber and Pepper Relish:
- 1 lb 8 oz (750 g) cucumber
- 2 large red or yellow peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 fl oz (175 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Method for Cucumber and Pepper Relish:
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthways and remove the seeds. Chop coarsely into a colander or sieve, sprinkle with the salt and leave for at least an hour.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Core, de-seed and thinly slice the peppers, put into a bowl with the lime juice and mix well.
- Bring the vinegar to the boil and add the cucumber, peppers, lime juice and mustard seeds.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Makes about 1lb 12 oz (750 g) of relish.