Ingredients for Fresh Plum Cake:
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g (3.5oz) baking margarine
- 50g (2oz) sultanas
- 50g (2oz) soft brown sugar plus 2 tblsp for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tblsp golden syrup
- 225g (8oz) plums, stoned and chopped
Method for Fresh Plum Cake:
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
- Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin.
- Rub the flour, half the cinnamon and the margarine together.
- Add the sultanas and 50g (2oz) brown sugar and stir.
- Beat eggs and syrup together in a separate bowl, add plums, then stir into flour mixture.
- Transfer to tin and level surface.
- Mix rest of brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of cake mixture.
- Cook in centre of oven for 45-50 mins and then test. It should be risen and just firm to the touch when cooked.
- Cut into squares to eat.
This is best eaten warm with ice cream though you can eat it cold, but why wait? Also works with apples and rhubarb, though plums work best I’ve found.